Black Sea Terminal’s (BST) Driving Management has been developed to mitigate potential impacts resulting from the use of vehicles. It provides an overview of transport management and includes the transportation of all materials, equipment and personnel.
Driving and Transport Management covers all operations related to the exploitation of transport means and the transportation of materials, equipment and personnel to work sites. It also addresses the potential environmental and social impacts.
Transport Safety is responsible for:
- Ensuring that the appropriate hazard identification and risk assessment process is applied
- Ensuring that company competence and training requirements are met
- Conducting monthly vehicle/driver audits together with the transportation coordinator and to ensure that all company vehicle/equipment responds to minimum company and legal requirements
- Identifying and ensuring compliance with the legal requirements related to the safe operation of transport means
- Ensuring that all vehicles and drivers hired and/ or otherwise contracted by BST comply with company driving safety requirements
- Checking that all drivers are trained, licensed and assessed as per driving safety requirements and medically fit for the task
- Taking part in an annual driver assessment
- Conducting periodical toolbox talks and awareness training courses
- Conducting HSE induction with newly hired drivers
- Controlling contractor companies and third party drivers and vehicles compliance with BST vehicle safety requirements
- Advising HR Departments on the training requirements for drivers
- Instructing drivers to use only approved and designated routes
- Instructing drivers on the set speed limits
Drivers must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or any other substance or medication that could impair their ability to drive.
Risks associated with night driving and driving during bad weather conditions are assessed and mitigation measures are administered to control the risks related with night and winter driving, These include, but are not limited to the:
- Prohibition of night driving unless approved otherwise by management
- Prohibition of winter driving based on road and weather conditions
- Provision and usage of wheel chains during icy road conditions
- Decreasing speed limits
- Regular inspection of vehicle and tires condition
- Establishing regular communication between driver and transport dispatcher
The company has the right to investigate the breakdown to identify gross negligence or natural fatigue.
All vehicles used are serviced and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and equipped with:
- Three point inertia reel seatbelts in the front and rear outer seats and lap belts in the middle for the maximum capacity of personnel carried;
- Dry powder fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Flashlight (handheld)
- Serviceable spare wheel
- Tire pressure gauge and tire pump
- Maintenance tool kit
- Towing strap
- Audible reversing alarms
BST employs measures to mitigate and manage potential environment impacts and include the following:
- Regular maintenance of vehicles to minimize emissions to air and accidental fuel and oil spillages.
- Construction of filling station fuel reservoirs within concrete bund area to prevent accidental fuel leak spread
- Collection, segregation and disposal of transport wastes as per BST Waste Management plan
- Conducting maintenance activities in a specially designated maintenance garage.
- Training of drivers to control the risk of spillages and leaks during refueling of vehicles.
There are a number of potential social impacts from driving in communities living in areas adjacent to work sites. These concerns include:
- driving on the roads along the villages
- local people and domestic animals struck by company vehicles
- driving close to local school
- noise and vibration
- damage to local roads
- Damage to overhead communications and power lines
To ensure safe operation of transport means and prevent any accidents related to vehicle condition, BST management has implemented and maintains an inspection and monitoring program which consist of:
- Daily vehicle check-ups
- Monthly vehicle check ups
- Monthly vehicle and driver Audits